Banneker High Schoolhttps://i0.wp.com/engeniumgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Exterior-Banneker.jpg?fit=1024%2C832&ssl=1 1024 832 Engenium Group Engenium Group https://i0.wp.com/engeniumgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Exterior-Banneker.jpg?fit=1024%2C832&ssl=1
Benjamin Banneker High School
The new high-performing, flagship high school was designed to facilitate academic excellence for students in Washington, DC. DGS’ Benjamin Banneker High School provides a 21st-century learning environment to accommodate an increased enrollment of 800 students by 2025. The design envisioned a series of interconnected spaces for learning, discovery, and engagement. The project’s program included an open atrium and learning commons; classrooms with ample natural light; gym, auditorium, and cafeteria for active community use; collaboration areas to enhance communication and activate interdisciplinary learning; coffee shop, science labs, studio and performing arts spaces, and outdoor learning areas. The building is topped with an intensive green roof.
Banneker High School was designed to be the first Net Zero Energy school in Washington, DC. The high-performance learning environment serves as a teaching tool for staff and students, while positively supporting their health and education. The building achieved LEED Platinum under LEED v4 BD+C Schools in 2023.
- Provide new domestic water service
- Provide new domestic water distribution (CW and HW)
- Provide new domestic hot water heater(s) as required
- Design and layout the storm water system including roof drains, and distribution within the building
- Fire Protection
- Provide a new fire suppression system
- Coordinate new fire water service
- Design the primary fire suppression infrastructure (fire pump, sprinkler zones)